Duration: 20 days
Level of Difficulty:
Expedition to one of the regions most remote and inhospitable regions of Amazonia, refuge of the feared and gigantic “Queen of the Jungle,” the anaconda. Based in unexplored areas high in biodiversity, this itinerary is an ideal way to combine adventure and nature.
At lengths of more than 8m and weighing more than 200 kg (440 lbs.), the anaconda (Eunectes murinus), is the heaviest and possibly longest snake in the world. In length, it competes only with the Southeast Asian reticulated python (Python reticulatus).
The anaconda, together with the black caiman (Melanosuchus niger), occupies the top of the Amazonian aquatic food web; just as do the jaguar (Panthera onca) on land and harpy eagle (Harpia harpyja) in the canopy.
– Departure by a light aircraft or hydroplane.
– One-hour flight from the Air Force Base to the town of Angamos located on the border with Brazil.
– Meeting with indigenous Matses.
– Stay in Angamos village.
– Overnight in Angamos.
– Organization of supplies and logistics before to start navigation.
– Motorboat into one of the least explored areas of the Amazon rainforest, the “Matses Reserve”.
– Bird watching.
– Arrival to the Community of the feline tribe “The Matses”.
– Accommodation: Overnight in a typical house in the tribal community.
– Navigating with indigenous Matses in a motorboat.
– Enter into the depths of the virgin rainforest.
During these days we will be doing the following activities:
– Construction of camps in different areas.
– Observe the flora and fauna.
– Fishing for piranhas (Serrasalmus nattereri) and other species.
– Hike in primary jungle.
– Excursion in search of primates.
– Drinking water from forest vines “Soga de agua”.
– Harvesting wild fruits.
– Learn how to construct traps to catch animals the native way.
– Construction of rafts or floatation devices.
– Nocturnal expedition in search of alligators.
– Exploration to “Colpas” (deposits of clay containing mineral salts where a large number and variety of animals congregate).
– Identification of animal tracks and footprints.
– Nocturnal excursion in search of snakes, tarantulas and other species.
– Exploration of remote lakes and “Aguajales” -Area of floodable forest where a native palm tree called aguaje grows or (Mauritia flexuosa)- far from any civilization, home to the fierce and gigantic anaconda (Eunectes murinus).
– Overnight in the jungle.
– Motorboat to the Matanza River.
– Wildlife observation.
– Hike through primary jungle to the town of Requena (50 km or 31 mi).
– Crossing of rivers and streams.
– Overnight in the jungle.
– Arrival by foot to Requena town.
– Speedboat from Requena to Nauta city (3 hr).
– Transfer from Nauta to Iquitos city (2 hr).
– 6:00 pm Arrival to Iquitos city.
Includes: – Transfer from Iquitos Airport, land and river transportations included in the itinerary, private boat, air ticket from Iquitos to Angamos, public speedboat from Requena to Nauta, all meals provided for duration of trip, purified water, permission to the Matses National Reserve, Matses native guides and Amazon Explorer’s tour leader.
Materials: Mosquito nets and bed sheets.
Note: Participants must bring their own sleeping pad.
Important – The air transportation used by this expedition is subject to the dates established by the local company, and based on climatological conditions the flights may be postponed.
– This expedition is open to highly motivated participants with a strong capacity for adaptation and who are in good physical and mental condition.
– Wildlife is unpredictable, sightings are not guaranteed, but by going to a remote area with anacondas longer than 5 meters (16 ft) record sightings in this area, you maximize the chance of finding this species.