Duration: 20 Days
Level of Difficulty:
This expedition is to one of the most remote and inhospitable regions of the Amazon rainforest, refuge of the “King of the Amazon”, the jaguar. This itinerary is ideal to combine adventure with nature, in areas that have not been explored very much and are have a plethora of biodiversity.
The jaguar (Panthera onca) is the largest feline in America and the third largest in the world. It can weigh up to 150 kilos. The females are between 10 and 20 percent smaller than the males. Its length varies from 170 to 230 cm and its height to the shoulders is about 80 cm.
The jaguar has an exceptionally powerful bite, superior to other big cats such as the tiger and the lion. This allows it to pierce the shells of armored reptiles like turtles. The jaguar is at the top of the trophic chain of the Amazon. The presence of this feline, is an indicator of a healthy forest.
– Departure by a light aircraft or hydroplane.
– One-hour flight from the Air Force Base to the town of Angamos located on the border with Brazil.
– Meeting with indigenous Matses.
– Stay in Angamos village.
– Overnight in Angamos.
– Organization of supplies and logistics before to start navigation.
– Motorboat into one of the least explored areas of the Amazon rainforest, the “Matses Reserve”.
– Bird watching.
– Arrival to the Community of the feline tribe “The Matses”.
– Accommodation: Overnight in a typical house in the tribal community.
– Navigating with indigenous Matses in a motorboat.
– Enter into the depths of the virgin rainforest.
During these days we will be doing the following activities:
– Construction of camps in different areas.
– Observe the flora and fauna.
– Fishing for piranhas (Serrasalmus nattereri) and other species.
– Hike in primary jungle.
– Exploration to “Colpas” (deposits of clay containing mineral salts where a large number and variety of animals congregate).
– Searching for tracks and footprints of jaguar.
– Preparing the area to attract the jaguar.
– Construction of a “Barbacoa” (platform in the tree) in order to wait for the “King of the Amazon”.
– Overnight in the jungle.
– Motorboat to the Matanza River.
– Wildlife observation.
– Hike through primary jungle to the town of Requena (50 km or 31 mi).
– Crossing of rivers and streams.
– Overnight in the jungle.
– Arrival by foot to Requena town.
– Speedboat from Requena to Nauta city (3 hr).
– Transfer from Nauta to Iquitos city (2 hr).
– 6:00 pm Arrival to Iquitos city.
Includes: – Transfer from Iquitos Airport, land and river transportations included in the itinerary, air ticket from Iquitos to Angamos, public speedboat from Requena to Nauta, all meals provided for duration of trip, purified water, permission to the Matses National Reserve, Matses native guides and Amazon Explorer’s tour leader.
Materials: Mosquito nets and bed sheets.
Note: Participants must bring their own sleeping pad.
Important – The air transportation used by this expedition is subject to the dates established by the local company, and based on climatological conditions the flights may be postponed.
– The expedition is open to highly motivated participants, with great adaptability and who are in good physical and mental condition.
– Wildlife is unpredictable, sightings are not guaranteed, but by going to a remote area with jaguar record sightings in this area, you maximize the chance of finding this species.