Duration: 20 days
Level of Difficulty:
Expedition to one of the most savage and warlike tribes of the Amazon, the Shuar, “Headhunters”.
– 7:30 amTransfer from Iquitos to Nauta city (2 hr).
– Motorboat from Iquitos, up the Marañon River.
– Looking for pink dolphins (Inia geoffresis).
– Visit the Candoshis and Quechuas indigenous Communities.
– Boat up the Pastaza River to enter the mysterious Shuar territory (800 km or 497 mi).
– At this stage, nights will be spent at riverbank villages, in the jungle and tribal communities.
– Arrive to a Shuar Community.
– Learn about their customs and way of life.
During these days we will do the following activities:
– Collect food from their “Chacras” plantations.
– Narrations about the ancient custom of human head reduction “Tsansa”.
– Learn about their weapons for hunting, blowguns and the preparing of the deadly “Curare”.
– Learn how the Shuar hunt with blowguns.
– Excursions by canoe.
– Fishing for piranha (Serrasalmus nattereri) and other species.
– Hike in primary rainforest with an indigenous Shuar.
– Identification of medicinal plants.
– Drinking water from forest vines “Soga de agua”.
– Learn how to construct traps for catching animals the native way.
– Excursion in a canoe.
– Observation of fauna.
– Travel to remote lakes.
– Bird watching.
– Excursion in search of primates.
– Nocturnal exploration in search of alligators, snakes, tarantulas and other species.
– Buying or bartering of handicrafts and authentic weapons of this indigenous tribe (optional).
– Overnight in a typical house in the native community or in the jungle.
– Return by motorboat to Iquitos.
– Along the way visiting native villages on the riverbanks.
– At this stage, nights will be spent at riverbank villages.
– Transfer from Nauta to Iquitos (2 hr).
– 6:00 pm Arrival to Iquitos city.
Includes: – Transfer from Iquitos Airport, land and river transportations included in the itinerary, private boat, all meals provided for duration of trip, purified water, Shuar native guides and Amazon Explorer’s tour leader.
Materials: Mosquito nets and bed sheets.
Important – This expedition is open to highly motivated participants with a strong capacity for adaptation and who are in good physical and mental condition.