Duration: 5 days
Level of Difficulty:
Within the Pacaya Samaria National Reserve everything, from the vast floodplain lakes to the incredible and varied fauna, is abundant and overwhelms the senses. Many Amazonian myths and legends take place in the reserve’s more mysterious spaces, and untouched, virgin pockets of forest still exist.
– 7:30 am Transfer from Iquitos to Nauta city (2 hr).
– Motorboat from Nauta to Santo Domingo (3 hr).
– Entrance permit for the National Reserve.
– Arrival to a village inside the Pacaya Samiria National Reserve.
– Boat excursion to a lagoon.
– Looking for pink dolphins (Inia geoffrensis).
– Exploration hiking.
– Bird watching.
– Accommodation: Overnight in a typical village house.
– Motorboat to camping area (3 hr).
– Construction of camp.
During these days we will do the following activities:
– Piranha fishing (Serrasalmus nattereri).
– Hikes through primary jungle in search of wildlife.
– Identification of medicinal plants.
– Drinking water from forest vines “Soga de agua”.
– Searching for the giant tree, largest of the jungle “Lupuna”.
– Nocturnal explorations in search of tarantulas and other insects.
– Excursion in search of primates.
– Night exploration in search of alligators and other species.
– Overnight in the jungle.
– Return by motorboat to the village.
– Wildlife observation.
– Buying handicrafts (optional).
– Return by motorboat to Nauta (3 hr).
– Transfer from Nauta to Iquitos (2 hr).
– 6:00 pm Arrival to Iquitos city.
Includes: – Transfer from Iquitos Airport, land and river transportations included in the itinerary, private boat, all meals provided for duration of trip, refreshments, purified water, permission to the Pacaya Samiria National Reserve, native guides and Amazon Explorer’s tour leader.
Materials: Mosquito nets, bed sheets and sleeping pad.