Duration: 3 days
Level of Difficulty:
For those who want to experience the jungle and observe its wildlife in a short period of time, the Pacaya-Samiria National Reserve is the best choice.
The Pacaya-Samiria promotes the preservation of the ecosystems and genetic diversity of the lowlands of the Peruvian Amazon. This reserve initiates the opportunity of researching flora and fauna, ensuring adequate management particular to those endangered species. Also, through sustainable tourism and the proper use of natural resources we look forward to the beneficial development of the rainforest communities.
– 7:30 am Transfer from Iquitos to Nauta city (2 hr).
– Motorboat from Nauta to Santo Domingo (3 hr).
– Entrance permit for the National Reserve.
– Arrival to a village inside the Pacaya Samiria National Reserve.
– Boat excursion to a lagoon.
– Looking for pink dolphins (Inia geoffrensis).
– Exploration hiking.
– Bird watching.
– Accommodation: Overnight in a typical village house.
– Motorboat to camping area (3 hr).
– Construction of camp.
– Piranha fishing (Serrasalmus nattereri).
– Hike in primary jungle.
– Identification of medicinal plants.
– Drinking water from forest vines “Soga de agua”.
– Searching for the giant tree, largest of the jungle “Lupuna”.
– Excursion in search of primates.
– Nocturnal exploration in search for alligators and other animals.
– Overnight in the jungle.
– Return by motorboat to the village.
– Wildlife observation.
– Buying handicrafts (optional).
– Return by motorboat to Nauta (3 hr).
– Transfer from Nauta to Iquitos (2 hr).
– 6:00 pm Arrival to Iquitos city.
Includes: – Transfer from Iquitos Airport, land and river transportations included in the itinerary, private boat, all meals provided for duration of trip, refreshments, purified water, permission to the Pacaya Samiria National Reserve, native guides and Amazon Explorer’s tour leader.
Materials: Mosquito nets, bed sheets and sleeping pad.