Duration: 12 days
Level of Difficulty:
Due to the fact that it is composed of varzea, or seasonally flooded forest, this reserve is one of the most important in the Peruvian Amazon. It is filled with lakes, lagoons, swamps, and aguajales (a swamp composed of the special moriche palm/buruti nut (Mauritia flexuosa).
In this reserve, we can find extensive flora and fauna, some in danger of extinction.
For example: Black Caiman (Melanosuchus niger), Puma (Felis concolor), River Otter (Pteronura brasiliensis), Jaguar (Panthera onca), Manatí (Trichechus inunguis), and Paiche/Pirarucu (Arapaima gigas).
Up to 13 species of primates also live in this reserve.
– 7:30 am Transfer from Iquitos to Nauta city (2 hr).
– Motorboat from Nauta to Santo Domingo (3 hr).
– Entrance permit for the National Reserve.
– Arrival to a village inside the Pacaya Samiria National Reserve.
– Boat excursion to a lagoon.
– Exploration hiking.
– Bird watching.
– Accommodation: Overnight in a typical village house.
During these days the following activities will be done:
– Navigating for 5 hours per each day.
– Construction of camps in different areas.
– Looking for pink dolphins (Inia geoffrensis).
– Excursion by canoe for wildlife observation.
– Fishing for piranha (Serrasalmus nattereri).
– Excursion in search of Giant river otters (Pteronura brasiliensis).
– Night exploration looking for, tarantulas and other insects.
– Overnight in the jungle in different camps.
– Motorboat. (5 hr).
– Arrival to El Dorado.
– Construction of camp.
During these days we will be doing the following activities:
– Hike through primary jungle in search of wildlife.
– Excursion in search of footprint of the jaguar (Panthera onca).
– Identification of medicinal plants.
– Drinking water from forest vines “Soga de agua”.
– Excursion in search of primates.
– Night exploration looking for alligators and other species.
– Exploratory hike in search of nocturnal animals.
– Overnight in the jungle.
– Return by motorboat.
– Day 10 and 11 at night Overnight in the jungle.
– Day 12, arrival to the village.
– Purchase of handicrafts (optional).
– Return by motorboat to Nauta (3 hr).
– Transfer from Nauta to Iquitos (2 hr).
– 6:00 pm Arrival to Iquitos city.
Includes: – Transfer from Iquitos Airport, land and river transportations included in the itinerary, private boat, all meals provided for duration of trip, refreshments, purified water, permission to the Pacaya Samiria National Reserve, native guides and Amazon Explorer’s tour leader.
Materials: Mosquito nets, bed sheets and sleeping pad.