Embrace the thrill of embarking on a daring adventure in a secluded jungle wilderness. Your journey will lead you through a demanding 50-mile (80 km) trek to the headwaters of the river, where you will construct dugout canoes to navigate another 50 miles (80 km) downstream, ultimately arriving at an indigenous community.
We carefully chose this area because of its status as a wildlife hotspot, making it an idyllic location for biologists, naturalists, adventurers, expeditioners, and passionate wildlife photographers.
We have crafted these expeditions to emphasize teamwork. There are no “tourist” services available. Every participant is expected to actively contribute by gathering firewood, fishing, food preparation, water purification, shelter construction, raft building, and engaging in all the essential activities required for the successful completion of this adventure. Are you prepared to embrace this exhilarating challenge?
- Trekking Trial: 50 miles (80 km)
- Dugout Canoes Navigation: 50 miles (80 km)
- Transfer from Iquitos Airport.
- Land and river transportations included in the itinerary.
- Light aircraft from Iquitos /Angamos / Iquitos.
- Slow boat type peke-peke.
- Permission from SERNANP (National Service of Natural Areas Protected by the Peruvian State).
- Permission to the Matsés National Reserve and Native Community.
- Expert indigenous trackers and Amazon Explorer’s tour leader.
- First aid kit, includes antivenom serum.
- Note: Participants must bring their own camping gear.
- You must arrive in Iquitos a day before the starting date.
- The air transportation used for this expedition is subject to the dates established by the Peruvian Air Force. The flight may be postponed due to climatic conditions.
- We suggest having additional days at the end of the itinerary. In the event that the flight is suspended, the lost days can be recovered.
- In the event that the flight used in the expeditions is postponed, Amazon Explorer will not take charge of your stay in the city of Iquitos, nor will you receive any type of refund for the lost days.
- Wildlife is unpredictable, sightings are not guaranteed, but by going to a remote area, you maximize the chance of finding.
- Clay licks: Only from June to November, when the rivers are low.
- This expedition is open to highly motivated participants with a strong capacity for adaptation and who are in good physical and mental condition.
- During these expeditions, in totally unexplored areas, it may be necessary to change the activities and/or the route due to unforeseen situations.
- These expeditions are extreme and high risky due to the inaccessible terrain and possible encounters with uncontacted natives.
- Book with a minimum of 60 days in advanced.
- LIMITED SPACES: 6 participants.