Expedition to one of the region’s most remote and inhospitable regions of Amazonia, refuge of the feared and gigantic “Queen of the Jungle”, the anaconda. Based in unexplored areas, high in biodiversity, this itinerary is an ideal way to combine adventure and nature.
In excess of 8m (26ft) and 200 kg (440 lbs.), the female anaconda (Eunectes murinus), is the heaviest and possibly longest snake in the world. In length, it competes only with the Southeast Asian reticulated python (Python reticulatus). The anaconda and the black caiman (Melanosuchus niger), occupy the top of the Amazonian aquatic food chain, while the jaguar (Panthera onca) on land and harpy eagle (Harpia harpyja) in the canopy.
- Transfer from Iquitos Airport.
- Land and river transportations included in the itinerary.
- Air ticket from Iquitos to Angamos.
- Public speedboat from Requena to Nauta.
- Slow boat type peke-peke.
- All meals provided for duration of trip.
- Purified water.
- Permission to the Matsés National Reserve and Community.
- Native guides and Amazon Explorer’s tour leader.
- Materials: Mosquito nets and bed sheets.
- Note: Participants must bring their own light camping mat.
- The air transportation used for this expedition is subject to the dates established by the Peruvian Air Force. The flight may be postponed due to climatic conditions.
- Clay licks: Only from June to November, when the rivers are low.
- Wildlife is unpredictable, sightings are not guaranteed, but by going to a remote area and with records of anacondas greater than 20 ft (6 m) in the area, you maximize the chance of finding this species.
- This expedition is open to highly motivated participants with a strong capacity for adaptation and who are in good physical and mental condition.
- You must arrive in Iquitos a day before the starting date.
- You must reserve a minimum of 30 days in advance.