The protector of the Amazonian skies, the Harpy Eagle (Harpia harpyja) is an indicator of a healthy habitat, because it is at the top of the food chain. The presence of this bird indicates that all the species present in the ecosystem are in balance.
The female is larger than the male and can exceed a meter in length and weigh up to 20 lb. (9 kg). Despite its size, it has the ability to penetrate thick foliage to hunt its prey. It is considered one of the most powerful eagles in the world.
- Transfer from Iquitos Airport.
- Land and river transportations included in the itinerary.
- Air ticket from Iquitos to Angamos.
- Public speedboat from Requena to Nauta.
- Slow boat type peke-peke.
- All meals provided for duration of trip.
- Purified water.
- Permission to the Matsés National Reserve and Community.
- Matsés native guides and Amazon Explorer’s tour leader.
- Materials: Mosquito nets and bed sheets.
- Note: Participants must bring their own light camping mat.
- The air transportation used for this expedition is subject to the dates established by the Peruvian Air Force. The flight may be postponed due to climatic conditions.
Clay licks: Only from June to November, when the rivers are low.
- Wildlife is unpredictable, sightings are not guaranteed, but by going to a remote area with Harpy Eagle record sightings in this area, you maximize the chance of finding this species.
- The expedition is open to highly motivated participants, with great adaptability and who are in good physical and mental condition.
- You must arrive in Iquitos a day before the starting date.
- You must reserve a minimum of 30 days in advance.