This expedition is to one of the most remote and inhospitable regions of the Amazon rainforest, refuge of the “King of the Amazon”, the jaguar. This itinerary is ideal to combine adventure with nature, in unexplored areas with a lot of biodiversity.
The jaguar (Panthera onca) is the largest feline in America and the third largest in the world. It can weigh up to 150 kilos. The females are between 10 and 20 percent smaller than the males. Its length varies from 170 to 230 cm and its height to the shoulders is about 80 cm. The jaguar has an exceptionally powerful bite, superior to that of the tiger and lion. The jaguar is at the top of the Amazon food chain. The existence of this feline is the indicator of a healthy ecosystem.
- Transfer from Iquitos Airport.
- Land and river transportations included in the itinerary.
- Air ticket from Iquitos to Angamos.
- Public speedboat from Requena to Nauta.
- Slow boat type peke-peke.
- All meals provided for duration of trip.
- Purified water.
- Permission to the Matsés National Reserve and Community.
- Native guides and Amazon Explorer’s tour leader.
- Materials: Mosquito nets and bed sheets.
- Note: Participants must bring their own light camping mat.
- The air transportation used for this expedition is subject to the dates established by the Peruvian Air Force. The flight may be postponed due to climatic conditions.
Clay licks: Only from June to November, when the rivers are low.
- Wildlife is unpredictable, sightings are not guaranteed, but by going to a remote area with jaguar record sightings in this area, you maximize the chance of finding this species.
- The expedition is open to highly motivated participants, with great adaptability and who are in good physical and mental condition.
- You must arrive in Iquitos a day before the starting date.
- You must reserve a minimum of 30 days in advance.