Territory of the mysterious tribe of the Feline, “The Matsés” is considered one of the most remote areas of the Amazon rainforest. Little exploration has been done and is inaccessible for most tourists. The Matsés belong to the Pano linguistic family, like Matis ethnicities, and Korubos Marubos among others. In the 1970s the Matsés changed their mode of semi-nomadic life to live in permanent communities. The Matsés territory is located in the region bounded by the rivers of Yavari (Javari in Portuguese), and Galvéz Chobayacu Peru’s border with Brazil.
Currently their communities are located deep in the Amazon jungle of northeastern Peruvian border with Brazil. Still retain their primitive culture, are expert hunters and gatherers whose ability to survive depends on their physical skills and knowledge of the jungle. Your belief system is tied to nature, plants and animals have a very important relationship with their spiritual world.
- Transfer from Iquitos Airport.
- Land and river transportations included in the itinerary.
- Air ticket from Iquitos to Angamos.
- Public speedboat from Requena to Nauta.
- Slow boat type peke-peke.
- All meals provided for duration of trip.
- Purified water.
- Permission to the Matsés National Reserve.
- Permission to the Community and Maloca (indigenous longhouse).
- Matsés native guides and Amazon Explorer’s tour leader.
- Materials: Mosquito nets and bed sheets.
- Note: Participants must bring their own light camping mat.
- The air transportation used for this expedition is subject to the dates established by the Peruvian Air Force. The flight may be postponed due to climatic conditions.
- This expedition is open to highly motivated participants with a strong capacity for adaptation and who are in good physical and mental condition.
- You must arrive in Iquitos a day before the starting date.
- You must reserve a minimum of 30 days in advance.