In the heart of the Amazon rainforest lies the territory of the mysterious “Feline Tribe”, known as the Matsés, considered one of the most secluded areas that has seen minimal exploration, making it inaccessible for the majority of tourists.
This program is designed to introduce you to an authentic Amazonian ethnic group living in isolation within a Maloca (communal house), while embarking on explorations into remote areas for wildlife sightings.
The itinerary includes a flight in and return by a 50-kilometer (31 mi) hike through the jungle. Please be aware that flights may be delayed by the operator due to weather conditions, highlighting the importance of incorporating extra days into your schedule after the program.
Presently, these communities are situated deep within the Amazon jungle on the northeastern Peruvian border with Brazil. They continue to preserve their primitive culture and remain expert hunters and gatherers, relying on their physical skills and profound knowledge of the jungle for survival. Their belief system is intricately woven into nature, where plants and animals share a vital relationship with their spiritual world.
- Transfer from Iquitos Airport.
- Land and river transportations included in the itinerary.
- Air ticket from Iquitos to Angamos.
- Public speedboat from Requena to Nauta.
- Slow boat type peke-peke.
- All meals provided for duration of trip.
- Purified water.
- Permit from SERNANP (National Service of Natural Areas Protected by the Peruvian State).
- Permission to the Matsés National Reserve and Native Community.
- Permission to the Maloca (indigenous longhouse).
- Matsés native guides and Amazon Explorer’s tour leader.
- Materials: Mosquito nets and bed sheets.
- Participants must bring their own light camping mat.
- You must arrive in Iquitos a day before the starting date.
- The air transportation used for this expedition is subject to the dates established by the Peruvian Air Force. The flight may be postponed due to climatic conditions.
- We suggest having additional days at the end of the itinerary. In the event that the flight is suspended, the days lost can be recovered.
- In the event that the flight used in the expeditions is postponed, Amazon Explorer will not take charge of your stay in the city of Iquitos, nor will you receive any type of refund for the days lost.
- Clay licks: Only from June to November, when the rivers are low.
- Wildlife is unpredictable, sightings are not guaranteed, but by going to a remote area and with wildlife records in the area, you maximize the chance of finding.
- This expedition is open to highly motivated participants with a strong capacity for adaptation and who are in good physical and mental condition.
- You must reserve a minimum of 30 days in advance.