Territory of the mysterious Feline Tribe, “Matsés” is considered one of the most remote areas of the Amazon rainforest. Little exploration has been done and is inaccessible for most tourists.
This program aims to meet an genuine Amazonian ethnic group, who live isolated in an Maloca (communal house), and explore remote areas for wildlife sightings.
This itinerary features a flight in and the return by a 50-kilometer (31 ml) hike through the jungle. Flights can be postponed by its operator by weather conditions. You must have some spare days after your program.
Currently their communities are located deep in the Amazon jungle of northeastern Peruvian border with Brazil. Still retain their primitive culture, are expert hunters and gatherers whose ability to survive depends on their physical skills and knowledge of the jungle. Your belief system is tied to nature, plants and animals have a very important relationship with their spiritual world.
- Transfer from Iquitos Airport.
- Land and river transportations included in the itinerary.
- Air ticket from Iquitos to Angamos.
- Public speedboat from Requena to Nauta.
- Slow boat type peke-peke.
- All meals provided for duration of trip.
- Purified water.
- Permit from SERNANP (National Service of Natural Areas Protected by the Peruvian State).
- Permission to the Matsés National Reserve and Native Community.
- Permission to the Maloca (indigenous longhouse).
- Matsés native guides and Amazon Explorer’s tour leader.
- Materials: Mosquito nets and bed sheets.
- Participants must bring their own light camping mat.
- You must arrive in Iquitos a day before the starting date.
- The air transportation used for this expedition is subject to the dates established by the Peruvian Air Force. The flight may be postponed due to climatic conditions.
- We suggest having additional days at the end of the itinerary. In the event that the flight is suspended, the days lost can be recovered.
- In the event that the flight used in the expeditions is postponed, Amazon Explorer will not take charge of your stay in the city of Iquitos, nor will you receive any type of refund for the days lost.
- Clay licks: Only from June to November, when the rivers are low.
- Wildlife is unpredictable, sightings are not guaranteed, but by going to a remote area and with wildlife records in the area, you maximize the chance of finding.
- This expedition is open to highly motivated participants with a strong capacity for adaptation and who are in good physical and mental condition.
- You must reserve a minimum of 30 days in advance.