Due to the fact that it is composed of varzea, or seasonally flooded forest, this reserve is one of the most important in the Peruvian Amazon. It is filled with lakes, lagoons, swamps, and aguajales (a swamp composed of the special moriche palm/buruti nut (Mauritia flexuosa). In this reserve, we can find extensive flora and fauna, some in danger of extinction, for example: Black Caiman (Melanosuchus niger), Puma (Felis concolor), River Otter (Pteronura brasiliensis), Jaguar (Panthera onca), Manatí (Trichechus inunguis), and Paiche/Pirarucu (AraDue to the fact that it is composed of varzea, or seasonally flooded forest, this reserve is one of the most important in the Peruvian Amazon.paima gigas). Up to 13 species of primates also live in this reserve.
- Transfer from Iquitos Airport.
- Land and river transportations included in the itinerary.
- Private slow boat type peke-peke.
- All meals provided for duration of trip.
- Purified water.
- Permission to the Pacaya Samiria National Reserve.
- Native guide and Amazon Explorer’s tour leader.
- Materials: Mosquito nets, bed sheets and light camping mat.