We are the first to visit this Genuine Maloca with indigenous Matsés who live in isolation and maintain their ancestral customs.
This itinerary features a flight Iquitos/Colonia Angamos, and return by a 50 km (31 ml) hike through the jungle. Flights can be postponed by its operator by weather conditions. You must have some spare days after your program.
If you are a wildlife-minded traveler and want to visit a Genuine Maloca (isolated Matses), we suggest the 15-Day Matsés Expedition.
The Matsés were initially known as the bearded men, due to their facial ornaments. This aspect partly contributed to their reputation for ferocity, although for the Matsés, they represented a form of identity and also, among themselves, a symbol of beauty.
Their communities are located deep in the Amazon rainforest, where they preserve their primitive culture. They are expert hunters and gatherers whose ability to survive depends on their physical dexterity and knowledge of the jungle. Their belief system is linked to nature, with plants and animals having a very important relationship with their spiritual world.
- Transfer from Iquitos Airport.
- Land and river transportations included in the itinerary.
- Air ticket from Iquitos to Angamos.
- Public speedboat from Requena to Nauta.
- Slow boat type peke-peke.
- All meals provided for duration of trip.
- Purified water.
- Permit from SERNANP (National Service of Natural Areas Protected by the Peruvian State).
- Permission to the Matsés Communities.
- Permission to the Maloca (indigenous longhouse).
- Matsés native guides and Amazon Explorer’s tour leader.
- Materials: Mosquito nets and bed sheets.
- Participants must bring their own light camping mat.
- You must arrive in Iquitos a day before the starting date.
- The air transportation used for this expedition is subject to the dates established by the Peruvian Air Force. The flight may be postponed due to climatic conditions.
- We suggest having additional days at the end of the itinerary. In the event that the flight is suspended, the days lost can be recovered.
- In the event that the flight used in the expeditions is postponed, Amazon Explorer will not take charge of your stay in the city of Iquitos, nor will you receive any type of refund for the days lost.
- This expedition is open to highly motivated participants with a strong capacity for adaptation and who are in good physical and mental condition.
- You must reserve a minimum of 30 days in advance.