Duration: 12 days
Level of Difficulty:
In the 1970s the Matses changed their mode of semi-nomadic life to live in permanent communities. The Matsés territory is located in the region bounded by the rivers of Yavari (Javari in Portuguese), and Galvez Chobayacu Peru’s border with Brazil.
Currently their communities are located deep in the Amazon jungle of northeastern Peruvian border with Brazil. Still retain their primitive culture, are expert hunters and gatherers whose ability to survive depends on their physical skills and knowledge of the jungle. Your belief system is tied to nature, plants and animals have a very important relationship with their spiritual world.
- Departure from the hotel or the Airport.
- Flight with a light aircraft or hydroplane.
- One-hour flight from the Air Force Base to the town of Angamos located on the border with Brazil.
- Meeting with indigenous Matses.
- Stay in Angamos village.
- Overnight in Angamos.
- Organization of supplies and logistics before to start navigation.
- Motorboat into one of the least explored areas of the Amazon rainforest, the Matses Reserve.
- Bird watching.
- Arrival to the Community of the “feline tribe” the Matses.
- Live in a tribal community beyond civilization.
- Learning their customs and way of life.
During these days we will be doing the following activities:
- Harvesting food from their “Chacras” (plantations and crops).
- Ancient stories told by elderly Matses.
- Set up camp.
- Hiking in primary jungle.
- Excursion in search of primates.
- Visit to “Colpas” (deposit of clay containing mineral salts where a large number and variety of animals gather).
- Identification of medicinal plants.
- Drinking water from forest vines “Soga de agua”.
- Fishing for piranha (Serrasalmus nattereri) and other species.
- Canoe excursion in search of wildlife.
- Nocturnal exploration on in search of alligators, snakes, tarantulas and other species.
- Tobacco sniffing or “Nënë” ceremony (optional).
- Frog ceremony or Frog Medicine “Kambo” (optional).
- Buying or bartering for handicrafts and authentic weapons (optional).
- Overnight in a typical house in the tribal community or in the jungle.
- Motorboat to the Matanza River.
- Wildlife observation.
- Hike through primary jungle to the town of Requena (50 km or 31 mi).
- Crossing of rivers and streams.
- Overnight in the jungle.
- Arrive by foot to Requena town.
- Public speedboat “rápido” to Nauta (3 hr).
- Bus to Iquitos (2 hr).
- 6:00 pm Arrival to Iquitos city.
• Transfer from Iquitos Airport, land and river transportations included in the program, private boat, plane ticket from Iquitos to Angamos, all meals provided for duration of trip, purified water, Matses native guides and Amazon Explorer’s tour leader.
Materials: Mosquito nets, sheets and rubber boots.
Note: Participants must bring their own sleeping pad.
• The air transportation used by this expedition is subject to the dates established by the local company, and based on climatological conditions the flights may be postponed.
• This program is open to highly motivated participants with a strong capacity for adaptation and who are in good physical and mental condition.