For those who wish to carry out an experiential tourism, to live together and to know the customs and culture of an indigenous ethnic group of the Amazon.
At the beginning of the 20th century, as a consequence of the exploitation of rubber, the Boras suffered a serious process of demographic disintegration, with the population reduced from 15,000 to only 427, in a period of approximately 30 years.
- Transfer from Iquitos Airport.
- Land and river transportations included in the itinerary.
- Public speedboat from Iquitos/Pebas/Iquitos.
- Slow boat peke-peke.
- All meals provided for duration of trip.
- Purified water.
- Bora native guide and Amazon Explorer’s tour leader.
- Permission to the Ampiyacu-Apayacu Natural Reserve.
- Bora and Murui-Muinani (Huitoto) community.
- Materials: Mosquito nets, bed sheets and light camping mats.
- You must arrive in Iquitos a day before the starting date. The starting date is determined by public river transport operators. Their boats usually leave from Iquitos early in the morning.
- You must reserve a minimum of 20 days in advance.
Departure/Return LocationIquitos River Port
Departure TimeTo be confirmed
Return TimeTo be confirmed
- Speedboat from Iquitos to the town of Pebas.
- Travel downstream on the Amazon River (124 mi or 200 km).
- Arrive in Pebas.
- Overnight in a hotel in Pebas.
- Motorboat to an indigenous Bora Community.
- Gathering in the "Maloca” (communal indigenous house).
- Typical dances of this tribe.
- Prepare of coca leaves for traditional use.
- Listen to ancient stories told by elderly Bora.
- Hike around the community.
- Overnight in a typical house in the native community.
Day 3 - 12
- Motorboat with indigenous Boras on the Ampiyacu River.
- Arrive to the last tribal community (not touristic).
- Stay with indigenous Murui-Muinani (Huitoto) and learn about their customs and way of life.
- Collect food from their “Chacras” (plantations and crops).
- Hike through primary rainforest.
- Explore in the Ampiyacu-Apayacu Natural Reserve.
- Identify medicinal plants.
- Drink water from forest vines “Soga de agua”.
- Explore the night by canoe.
- Observe wildlife.
- Fish for piranha (Serrasalmus nattereri).
- Buy handicrafts (optional).
- Overnight in a native community or in the jungle.
- Return by motorboat to the Bora Community.
- Overnight in a native community.
- Motorboat back to Pebas.
- Overnight in a hotel in Pebas
- Speedboat to Iquitos.