Jaguar / Anaconda Expedition 20D
This expedition is to one of the most remote and inhospitable regions of the Amazon rainforest, refuge of the “Kings of the Amazon”, the Jaguar and Anaconda. This itinerary is ideal to combine adventure with nature, in unexplored areas with a lot of biodiversity.
The jaguar (Panthera onca) is the largest feline in America and the third largest in the world. It can weigh up to 150 kilos. The females are between 10 and 20 percent smaller than the males. Its length varies from 170 to 230 cm and its height to the shoulders is about 80 cm. The jaguar has an exceptionally powerful bite, superior to that of the tiger and lion. The jaguar is at the top of the Amazon food chain. The existence of this feline is the indicator of a healthy ecosystem.
Transfer from Iquitos Airport, land and river transportations included in the itinerary, air ticket from Iquitos to Angamos, public speedboat from Requena to Nauta, slow boat type peke-peke, all meals provided for duration of trip, purified water, permission to the Matsés National Reserve and Community, native guides and Amazon Explorer’s tour leader.
Materials: Mosquito nets and bed sheets.
Note: Participants must bring their own light camping mat. The air transportation used for this expedition is subject to the dates established by the Peruvian Air Force. The flight may be postponed due to climatic conditions.
The air transportation used for this expedition is subject to the dates established by the Peruvian Air Force. The flight may be postponed due to climatic conditions.
Clay licks: Only from June to November, when the rivers are low.
Wildlife is unpredictable, sightings are not guaranteed, but by going to a remote area and with records of jaguars and anacondas greater than 20 ft (6 m) in the area, you maximize the chance of finding this species.
This expedition is open to highly motivated participants with a strong capacity for adaptation and who are in good physical and mental condition.
You must arrive in Iquitos a day before the starting date.
You must reserve a minimum of 30 days in advance.
October 7-21, 2021
Join the adventure! Are you already registered? / ¿Ya estás registrado?
Join the adventure!
Are you already registered? / ¿Ya estás registrado?
Departure/Return LocationMilitary Airport of the Peruvian Air Force
Departure TimeTo be confirmed
Return TimeApproximately 6:00 PM
- Leave by a light aircraft from the Iquitos Air Force Base.
- One-hour flight to the town of Angamos located on the Brazilian border.
- Meeting with the expert indigenous trackers who will accompany us on this expedition.
- Overnight in Angamos.
- Organization of supplies and logistics before starting the river expedition.
- Motorboat into one of the least explored areas of the Amazon rainforest.
- Bird watching.
- Arrive to a native community.
- Overnight accommodations in a tribal community.
Day 3 - 13
- Motorboat into the depths of the virgin rainforest.
- Build camps in different areas.
- Observe wildlife.
- Fish for piranhas (Serrasalmus nattereri) and other species.
- Hike in primary jungle.
- Search for primates.
- Search of alligators, snakes and other species at night.
- Drink water from forest vines “Soga de agua”.
- Harvest wild fruits.
- Build rafts or floatation devices.
- Explore clay licks “Collpas” (deposits of clay containing mineral salts where a large number and variety of animals congregate).
- Search for tracks and footprints of jaguar (Panthera onca).
- Prepare the area to attract the jaguar.
- Construct of a “Barbacoa” (platform in the tree) in order to wait for the “King of the Amazon”.
- Overnight in the jungle.
Day 14 - 15
- Return by motorboat.
- Overnight in a tribal community.
Day 16 - 18
- Motorboat to the Matanza River.
- Wildlife observation.
- Trek through primary jungle to the town of Requena (31mi or 50 km).
- Cross rivers and streams.
- Overnight in the jungle.
Day 19 - 20
- Arrive to Requena.
- Speedboat from Requena to Nauta (3 hr).
- Bus from Nauta to Iquitos (2 hr).
- Arrive in Iquitos by 6:00 pm.