Pacaya Samiria Extreme
Due to the fact that it is composed of varzea, or seasonally flooded forest, this reserve is one of the most important in the Peruvian Amazon. It is filled with lakes, lagoons, swamps, and aguajales (a swamp composed of the special moriche palm/buruti nut (Mauritia flexuosa). In this reserve, we can find extensive flora and fauna, some in danger of extinction, for example: Black Caiman (Melanosuchus niger), Puma (Felis concolor), River Otter (Pteronura brasiliensis), Jaguar (Panthera onca), Manatí (Trichechus inunguis), and Paiche/Pirarucu (AraDue to the fact that it is composed of varzea, or seasonally flooded forest, this reserve is one of the most important in the Peruvian Amazon.paima gigas). Up to 13 species of primates also live in this reserve.
- Transfer from Iquitos Airport.
- Land and river transportations included in the itinerary.
- Private slow boat type peke-peke.
- All meals provided for duration of trip.
- Purified water.
- Permission to the Pacaya Samiria National Reserve.
- Native guide and Amazon Explorer’s tour leader.
- Materials: Mosquito nets, bed sheets and light camping mat.
Departure/Return LocationIquitos Hotel or Airport
Departure TimePlease arrive by 7:15 AM for a departure at 7:30 AM
Return TimeApproximately 6:00 PM
- 7:30 am Transfer from Iquitos to Nauta city (2 hr).
- Motorboat from Nauta to Santo Domingo (3 hr).
- Entrance permit for the National Reserve.
- Arrival to a village inside the Pacaya Samiria National Reserve.
- Boat excursion to a lagoon.
- Exploration hiking.
- Bird watching.
- Accommodation: Overnight in a typical village house.
Day 2 - 4
- Navigating for 5 hours per each day.
- Construction of camps in different areas.
- Looking for pink dolphins (Inia geoffrensis).
- Excursion by canoe for wildlife observation.
- Fishing for piranha (Serrasalmus nattereri).
- Search of Giant river otters (Pteronura brasiliensis).
- Night exploration looking for, tarantulas and other insects.
- Overnight in the jungle in different camps.
Day 5 - 9
- Motorboat, entering deep into the jungle (5 hr).
- Arrival to El Dorado.
- Construction of camp.
- Hike through primary jungle in search of wildlife.
- Excursion in search of footprint of the jaguar (Panthera onca).
- Identification of medicinal plants.
- Drinking water from forest vines “Soga de agua”.
- Excursion in search of primates.
- Search for alligators and other nocturnal species.
- Overnight in the jungle.
Day 10 - 12
- Return by motorboat.
- Day 10 and 11 at night Overnight in the jungle.
- Day 12, arrival to the village.
- Purchase of handicrafts (optional).
- Return by motorboat to Nauta (3 hr).
- Transfer from Nauta to Iquitos (2 hr).
- 6:00 pm Arrival to Iquitos.