Searching For El Dorado
Since the XV century, people have talked of the legendary lost cities of the Amazon. El Dorado was a mythic city made of gold. Inspired by this immense treasure hidden in and protected by the jungle, European conquistadores ventured deep into Amazonia. In 1542, in one of the most fateful and famous expeditions to find “El Dorado,” Francisco de Orellana separated from Gonzalo Pizarro and discovered the Amazon River.
500 years later, this legendary treasure has revealed itself to be the site of the highest biological diversity on the planet, with thousands of species of flora and fauna still unknown.
- Transfer from Iquitos Airport.
- Land and river transportations included in the itinerary.
- Private slow boat type peke-peke.
- All meals provided for duration of trip.
- Purified water.
- Permission to the Pacaya Samiria National Reserve.
- Native guide and Amazon Explorer’s tour leader.
- Materials: Mosquito nets, bed sheets and light camping mat.
Join the adventure! Are you already registered? / ¿Ya estás registrado?
Join the adventure!
Are you already registered? / ¿Ya estás registrado?
Departure/Return LocationIquitos Hotel or Airport
Departure TimePlease arrive by 7:15 AM for a departure at 7:30 AM
Return TimeApproximately 6:00 PM
- 7:30 am Transfer from Iquitos to Nauta city (2 hr).
- Motorboat from Nauta to Santo Domingo (3 hr).
- Entrance permit for the National Reserve.
- Arrival to a village inside the Pacaya Samiria National Reserve.
- Boat excursion to a lagoon.
- Exploration hiking.
- Bird watching.
- Accommodation: Overnight in a typical village house.
Day 2 - 4
- Navigating for 5 hours per each day.
- Construction of camps in different areas.
- Looking for pink dolphins (Inia geoffrensis).
- Excursion by canoe for wildlife observation.
- Fishing for piranha (Serrasalmus nattereri).
- Excursion in search of Giant river otters (Pteronura brasiliensis).
- Night exploration looking for, tarantulas and other insects.
- Overnight in the jungle in different camps.
Day 5 - 7
- Motorboat, entering deep into the jungle (5 hr).
- Arrival to El Dorado.
- Construction of camp.
- Hike through primary jungle in search of wildlife.
- Identification of medicinal plants.
- Drinking water from forest vines “Soga de agua”.
- Excursion in search of primates.
- Search for alligators and other nocturnal species.
- Overnight in the jungle.
Day 8 - 10
- Return by motorboat.
- Day 8 and 9 at night: Overnight in the jungle.
- Day 10: Arrival in a village.
- Purchase of handicrafts (optional).
- Return by motorboat to Nauta (3 hr).
- Transfer from Nauta to Iquitos (2 hr).
- 6:00 pm Arrival to Iquitos.