Expedition to one of the most savage and warlike tribes of the Amazon, the Shuar, “Headhunters”. The Shuar warriors kept a shrunken head as a testimony of each victory. This custom, in addition to being a war trophy and exhibited in traditional festivals, was so that the spirit of the dead would not return and take revenge on the killer. The warrior who killed his enemy had to carry out a complex ritual, designed to enclose the soul of the dead in his own head, this carefully shrunken is called a “tsantsa”.
- Transfer from Iquitos Airport.
- Land and river transportations included in the itinerary.
- Private slow boat type peke-peke.
- All meals provided for duration of trip.
- Purified water.
- Shuar native guide and Amazon Explorer’s tour leader.
- Permission to the Candoshis, Kichwas and Shuars Communities.
- Materials: Mosquito nets, bed sheets and light camping mat.
- This expedition is open to highly motivated participants with a strong capacity for adaptation and who are in good physical and mental condition.
- You must arrive in Iquitos a day before the starting date.
- You must reserve a minimum of 30 days in advance.
Departure/Return LocationIquitos River Port
Departure TimePlease arrive by 7:15 AM for a departure at 7:30 AM
Return TimeTo be confirmed
Day 1 - 8
- Travel from Iquitos 7:30 am to the river town of Nauta 9:30 am.
- Motorboat up the Marañón River.
- Look for pink dolphins (Inia geoffresis).
- Visit the Candoshis and Quechuas indigenous Communities.
- Motorboat up the Pastaza River to enter the mysterious Shuar territory (800 km or 497 mi).
- Along this river, nights will be spent in villages, in the jungle and tribal communities.
Day 9 - 15
- Arrive to a Shuar Community.
- Learn about their customs and way of life.
- Collect food from their “Chacras” plantations.
- Listen to stories told by the Shuar about their past custom of shrinking human heads or “Tsansa”.
- Learn about their weapons for hunting, blowguns and the preparing of the deadly "Curare".
- Excursions by canoe.
- Fishing for piranha (Serrasalmus nattereri) and other species.
- Hike in primary rainforest with an indigenous Shuar.
- Identify their medicinal plants.
- Drink water from forest vines “Soga de agua”.
- Observe the wildlife.
- Explore remote lakes.
- Bird watching.
- Nocturnal exploration.
- Buying or bartering of handicrafts and authentic weapons of this indigenous tribe (optional).
- Overnight in a native community or in the jungle.
Day 16 - 20
- Return by motorboat to Iquitos.
- At this time, nights will be spent along the river in local villages.
- Return from the Nauta to Iquitos (2 hr).